Hello everyone!
I was worried that I wouldn't get an email from anyone at home today because here, on Monday, it is Sunday beck in the States. Yes, my p-day is on Monday, so that means that you need to send emails on Saturday night if you want me to receive them on my p-day.
My companion and trainer is Sister Hemi. She is from Hamilton New Zealand but is also from Papa New Guinea. She is very nice and kind and has helped me a lot. She is very patient with me in my struggles to get accustomed to mission life. I arrived in Wellington on Wednesday. The mission President and his wife are very nice; he told me that they take very good care of the Sisters in the mission because they are all like daughters to them. I am very glad for that. That night I stayed with Elder and Sister Brazzeal, who are the office senior missionaries. They are very kind.
On Thursday morning I flew down to Invercargill, my first area, with two new Elders who will also be in Invercargill. When we got to the Sisters flat (apartment or house) the Elders put the bikes together. on Friday, my very first day riding my bike in the mission, I crashed my bike as Sister Hemi and I were riding to the Elders flat, about a 15 minute bike ride. I scraped up my knee and my hand, and bruised by elbow; I also broke my watch...I will be sending it home in hopes that you can possible get it fixed or if it has warranty on it get a new one. For now I had to buy a cheap new watch that is digital - I don't really like digital watches. But I was fine after I crashed, my bike is scraped up a little and the light broke off of it, but it is still ride able. That night we went to the Wilson's house for dinner, they are about a 30-45 minute bike ride. I hated the bike ride out there, it was so long, but at least it is pretty flat here so I don't have to climb up any hills, but I sure would have liked a downhill on the way there. It is getting easier for me to bike, but I still don't like it very much.
The dreaded bike in front of my flat
On Saturday we met with a couple of investigators, sister Hemi taught the first lesson, but I helped teach the second one. It went really well, even though we had to cancel the baptism date they had set because they aren't going to be ready by the end of December. Sister Hemi said that they were really moving forward and that they know it's true, but they don't want to change, or they are afraid of what might happen if they do change; and now it is like they are taking steps backward instead of moving forward.
On Sunday I went to my first Branch meeting. the members here are nice, although there are very few members who attend church every week. I am the pianist in sacrament meeting because no one else can play, they have a Hymns made easy book though so we won't have to sing the same three songs over and over again every week. But no one seems to mind that I can't play very well and that I make mistakes a lot while I am playing, I think that they are all just grateful to have a piano player to play.
It is nice here, but there are times when I can't help being homesick and crying, it's mostly in the mornings when we aren't busy riding our bikes or talking to people. I'm hoping that it will get better with time, although right now it doesn't seem like it will. I am trying to stay close to the Spirit so that I don't have doubts about why I am here, but it is hard. In the MTC the Spirit was always there and the adversary couldn't get in, but here in the mission field it seems like he is trying extra hard to break me down so that I will go home. I know I am where I am supposed to be, but at times I have doubts. I am trying to think positively though.
On the 20th of December all of the Zones on the South Island are having a Christmas conference that President and Sister Kezerian have put together. I am very excited for that, although it might give me lots of time to think since it will be in Christ Church, which is about a 7-9 hour drive from here. the Invercargill mission district is the lowest mission that you can get to in the New Zealand Wellington Mission, it's a good thing I am here in the summer time because it gets very cold here in the winter. And the branch that I attend is the Branch that has a chapel in the furthest South part of the world. I hope that made sense, because I couldn't figure out how to write it.
I am so glad for everyone's support, love, and prayers. I am so grateful for everyone who is in my life. I attached some pictures, they were taken at Queens Park.
Sister Hemi & Me on an Eagle statue
Me and Sister Hemi on a lion statue
Me on an Eagle statue
Me under an umbrella that is squirting out water
I hope you enjoy the pictures, and that everyone is doing well at home. i pray for you and am so grateful for your love and support.
Love,
Sister Jami Huffaker
P.S. I will be able to skype for Christmas, can you email me what my skype address is so that I can get on and skype you: And just so you know when I skype here on Christmas it will be Christmas Eve there; I don't know what time it will be at but I will let you know hopefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment